Report on Potential Competitors
For Learning Tool X PRIZE
By Murphy Stein
This report is two things. It is a "who's-who" of the math software market, from newcomers to the most established players, and it is also a qualitative evaluation of the best algebra-related software on the market today. The report also includes a summary of the major dimensions that tend to distinguish different products. Since the Learning Tools X Prize is likely to target algebra-related skills specifically, we have purposefully excluded companies that sell math software but who do not sell algebra-related software, and we have also excluded mentioning products that are not algebra-related.
In fact, in order for a company and their products to be included in this study, they had to meet the following two criteria:
- Publish a math software product that teaches algebra or pre-algebra
- Have a website from which we could gather information
For each company, we looked at the product or group of products which targeted algebra, or algebra-related skills, and reviewed these products with regard to the following dimensions:
- Products -- Which products are offered?
- Validation Claims -- What are their most impressive results in terms of validating the effectiveness of their software?
- Instructional Model(s) -- How is the product used? For example, are their different models for classroom and home use?
- Presentation Style -- How are the skills and concepts introduced? What opportunties does the student have for practice? What kinds of interactivity are in the product?
- Scope & Sequence -- What topics are covered and in what order?
- Delivery Method -- Is the product a web-based product, or do users access it in some other way?
- Price -- What are the relevant price points per user, per school, etc.?
- Market -- Is the product sold primarily to schools or individuals?
All the information presented in this report was gathered from the company websites and from on-line demos whenever possible. We have made every attempt to provide links to relevant materials on each company's website.
Summary of Findings coming soon...
The following companies' products were not reviewed because none of their products met the necessary criteria for inclusion
Additional Interesting Links
This report was last updated on August 17, 2006